The responsibility of the High Commission for Migration (ACM, I.P.) is, within the terms of reference of its assigned attributions, to support the integration of refugees, including those relocated, resettled and spontaneous in need of international protection.
To this end, with the publication of the Administrative Rule No. 203/2016 of July 25th, the ACM, I.P. services were reconfigured and adapted, in particular, the National and Local Support Centres for the Integration of Migrants (CNAIM and CLAIM) to ensure refugees are provided with adequate services to their needs.
For the implementation and execution of the policies for the reception and integration of refugees and beneficiaries of international protection, a Support Unit for the Integration of Refugees was created, responsible for the following, among others:
• permanent update of the mapping of availabilities for the reception of refugees in Portugal;
• registration and permanent update of the reception of refugees in Portugal;
• support and monitoring of local institutions hosting refugee people to support integration through follow-up visits;
• articulation with civil society and local authorities in the collection of proposals for the reception of refugees;
• assistance on arrival at the airport, in coordination with the foster institutions;
• raising public awareness on refugee issues;
• support the institutions in the integration process, in particular through the provision of the services of the National Support Centres for the Integration of Migrants, Local Support Centres for the Integration of Migrants, Telephone Translation Service (TTS), Programme - Portuguese for All, mainly through its e-learning version, aiming at learning the Portuguese language;
• ensure mediation in the scope of social intervention, through the Social Affairs and Inclusion Offices (GASI) – before Social Support Offices (GAS) – in the CNAIMs (Lisbon, North and Algarve);
• take over the monitoring and allocation of community European Union funds within the framework of the mission conferred to the ACM, I.P.;
• ensure the representation of the ACM, I.P. in national and international instances concerning the area of refugees.
The High Commission for Migration also integrates the Working Group on the European Agenda on Migration. This Group, created by the Government on September 3, 2015 (Order no. 10041-A/2015,) has a multidisciplinary representation:
1. Directorate-General for European Affairs/Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGEA/MNE)
2. Immigration and Borders Service (SEF)
3. Institute of Social Security (ISS, I.P.)
4. Institute of Employment and Professional Training (IEFP, I.P.)
5. Directorate-General for Health (DGS)
6. Directorate-General for Education (DGE)
7. High Commission for Migration (ACM, I.P.)
Where necessary, the Working Group welcomes representatives of local authorities and non-governmental organizations.
Know more about the Working Group on the European Agenda on Migration at www.refugiados.acm.gov.pt