If you wish to undertake a Portuguese language course for foreigner you may contact the Migrant Support Line (808 257 257) to know which school or job center and professional training are closer to your area of residence or work.
The Program PPT – Portuguese for All – is an initiative that aims to develop portuguese language courses for foreigners and that certify the levels A2 – Elementary User; B2 – Independent User; and technical portuguese targeted to the immigrant population.
Co-financed by the European Social Fund (ESF) and managed by ACM, I.P. as an Intermediate Body of the Operational Programme Social Inclusion and Employment.
The language courses are developed by public schools and by employment and vocational training centers. Please contact the public schools in your area of residence or check for more information here
. For the employment and vocational training centers offer (search ‘Programa Português para Todos’ in ‘Modalidades de Formação
The citizens/ residents in Portugal, i.e., nationals from third countries, communitarians, refugees or asylum, luso-descendants, when such is justified.
The mastery of the Portuguese language not only allows the communication with others and a better interaction with the hosting society but is also crucial to integrate fully the Portuguese society, including the work market. It is even essential to submit a request of nationality, permanent residence permit and the status of long term resident.
The length of the course is up to 150 hours. The time to conclude each course of Portuguese language depends from the organization of each school or job centre and training, and may run for up to 9 months, according to the number of hours of training taught per week.
The length of the course is up to 150 hours. The time to conclude each course of Portuguese language for foreigners depends from the organization of each school or job center and training, and may run for up to 9 months, according to the number of hours of training taught per week.
Specializes courses in areas such as Retail, Hospitality, Beauty Care, Civil Construction and Civil Engineering aiming to ease up the integrate the immigrant in the work market.
The length of the course is 25 hours. The time to conclude each course of portuguese language depend from the organization of each school or job centre and training, and may run for up to 9 months, according to the number of hours of training taught per week.
The registration in a Portuguese language course must be made in the Schools (public network), in the Job Centres and Professional Training of the IEFP or other places indicated, namely, the National Centre for the Support of the Immigrant (CNAI).
There are no requisites of access with regards to the gender, age, school qualifications, situation according to job or nationality, however, the regular situation of the student in Portugal must be covered through a valid title of residence (in certain cases it might be needed the ID Card, if denizen).
At the schools of the public network the minimum age is 15 years old, but in the job centres and professional training is 18 years old.
The schools of the public network and the Job Centers and Professional Training inform that the following documents are needed:
• Application Form;
• ID/ Citizen Card (citizen from the UE);
• Registration in the City Council of the area of residence (UE);
• Valid title of residence in Portugal or prove that the procedure to obtained it has started, renewed or extension with SEF – Foreigners and Border Services (immigrant citizens);
• Tax Number;
• NIB – Bank Identifier Code (if applicable).
The courses are organized by the following UFCD – Units of Short Term Training:
UFCD of Portuguese to speakers of other languages – Elementary User – Level A1:
- UFCD 6452 – Me and my daily routine (25 horas)
- UFCD 6453 – Eating habits, cultures and leisure (25 horas)
- UFCD 6454 – The human body, health and services (25 horas)
UFCD of Portuguese to speakers of other languages – Elementary User – Level A2:
- UFCD 6455 – Me and the work market (25 horas)
- UFCD 6456 – My past and my present (25 horas)
- UFCD 6457 – Communication and life in society (25 horas)
UFCD of Portuguese to speakers of other languages – Independent User – Level B1:
See UFCD 6397UI – Me, the society and culture (50 Horas)
See UFCD 6398UI – Me and the others (25 Horas)
See UFCD 6399UI – Cultural Timeliness (25 Horas) - opcional
UFCD of Portuguese to speakers of other languages Independent User – Level B2
- See UFCD 6400UI – Society and life projects (50 Horas)
- See UFCD 6401UI – Timeliness (25 Horas).
No, if you obtained a certificate of level A2 – Elementary User or superior you are dismissed from doing the Portuguese Language Exam.
The knowledge of the Portuguese language can also be proved by the following ways:
- Qualifications Certificate issued by a public, private or cooperative entity recognized in the legal terms considering that its holder has undertook with success the portuguese unit/ subject at least in two academic years;
- Certificate of approval of portuguese language taken in entities of the public network when done at the national territory or places approved by Camões – Institute of Cooperation and Language, I.P., when done abroad, and the regulation of the exam as well as its respective control must be part of the decree of the member of the Govern responsible for the areas of foreigner business and internal administration, justice and education;
- Certificate both in portuguese and foreign language, issued upon accomplishment of the exam of the portuguese exam center, as a foreign language, recognized by the Ministry of Education and Science, according to the protocol;
- Certificate of qualification that prove the completion of the level A2 or higher, issued by a facility of the public education, job centers and training and protocol center of the IEFP I.P., under the Decree nr. 1262/2009, of 15th of October, changed by the Decree nr. 216-B/2012, of 18th July.
It is an exam that allows obtaining the Initial Certificate of Portuguese Foreign Language and gives the certification of Level A2 – Elementary User - From the European Framework of Reference for languages from the European Council. Europeu Comum de Referência para as Línguas, do Conselho da Europa.
Where may I do the CIPLE exam?
The exam CIPLE may be done in exam centres recognized by the Ministry of Education and Science or other places approved by Camões – Institute of Cooperation and Language, I.P., namely:
- Faculty of Arts of the Porto University of Beira Interior;
- Faculty of Arts of the University de Lisbon;
- Faculty of Social and Human Sciences of the University Nova of Lisbon;
- Polytechnic Institute of Setúbal;
- University of Algarve,
- Others, consult the list at: http://caple.letras.ulisboa.pt/centers/index