Family benefit for children and youth is a value in money, paid monthly, to help families in supporting and educating children and young people. The child's mother may also require prenatal allowance, which can be ordered during pregnancy (from 13 weeks) or after the child's birth (for 6 months from the month following the birth).
All children and young people:
• Residents in Portugal or equivalent to residents
• Who does not work;
• Whose families have a reference income below the threshold value.
Note: The amount receivable of family benefit varies according to income and the year to which they relate.
• Parents, legal guardians and other adults who live with the child or young person.
• The person or entity that has the child or youth in their care.
• The young man/woman himself/herself, if over 18 years.
- Direct Social Security - fill in the online form and deliver documentation scanned.
- Social Security answering services - surrender the paper forms and documents indicated.
- In the six months following the month in which became entitled to family allowance for
- children and youth. If not filed within that period, is entitled to receive allowance from the month following submission of the application.
- If the mother asked prenatal allowance is not necessary to ask the family allowance. Simply present the child's identification in the Social Security care services.
Children and young people without disabilities
- Up to 16 years.
- From the 16 only receive if you are studying.
- Children and youth with disabilities
- Up to 24.
- From the 24 only receives is in higher education (to end the course and complete 27).
Portuguese citizens, Portuguese citizens resident in Portugal and Portuguese citizens providing service abroad are totally or partially paid by the Portuguese state
Photocopies of the following documents of all members of the household:
• Valid identification document (may be the citizen card, the ticket
identity, civil registration certificate, the newsletter of birth or passport).
• taxpayer card.
If the family members are already identified in the Social Security, it is not necessary to present these documents.
1 - Not covered by international agreement or EU legislation
- Evidence to support legally resident in Portugal.
2 - Covered by international agreement or EU legislation
In addition to the Community and the Swiss citizens, other foreigners, Nationals of countries with which Portugal has international agreements on family benefits do not need to present these documents - it's like citizens national it were.
Child or youth with disabilities
• Model RP5039-DGSS - deficiency of the trial - Family allowances.
• Model RP5034-DGSS - bonus Claim for disability.
Young people from 16 to 24 years
• Photocopy of student card or proof of past enrollment by the school.
• If the young man could not be registered, must submit a statement of the educational establishment.
• If you went from year to sickness or accident, must submit a medical certificate.
• If the allowance is requested by someone other than the mother, father or young person himself.
• Document showing the relationship of the person making the request with the child or young person.
Yes, you can apply for this provision with the delivery of such receipt. However, and if possible, even before ending the validity of the certificate, must prove to have obtained the Residence Permit of your child, or if the application is still being considered by the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), in which case deliver new receipt in the services of Social Security.
Yes, in these cases you can apply for this provision, and to this end deliver in the Social Security services a copy of the valid receipt, proving that you made the application for renewal or residence permit.
Source: Ministry of Solidarity, Employment and Social Security