Can vote in local elections, those registered in the census of the national territory, all Portuguese citizens (and Brazilian citizens with status of equal political rights) and also citizens of the following countries:
- Member States of the European Union (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Romania and Sweden);
- United Kingdom, with residence prior to Brexit;
- Brazil (without equality status) and Cape Verde with legal residence in Portugal for over two years;
- Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Island, Norway, New Zealand, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela with legal residence in Portugal for over three years.
In the elections for the Assembly of the Republic and Legislative Assemblies of the Autonomous Regions, Brazilian citizens holding the Statute of Equal Political Rights (Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Consultation between the Portuguese Republic and the Federative Republic of Brazil, signed in Porto Seguro, on 22 April 2000) can vote.
Information materials on electoral rights and the requirements for voter registration of immigrant communities resident in Portugal produced by High Commission for Migration (ACM), in partnership with the National Electoral Commission (CNE), regarding the next municipal elections scheduled for 26 September 2021:
Voter registration ended in 27 July 2021.
National Electoral Commission (CNE) awareness campaign – Municipal Elections 2021
Access and share all the materials of this campaign, including announcements in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
Migrant Support Line – 808 257 257 | + 351 218 106 191
You must go to the Voting Commission (CR) of the parish council of your area of residence indicated in the valid residence title or in the Registration Certificate or Residence Certificate for an EU Citizen (article 27, no. 3)
If you turn 18 years of age by election day, you can also register.
Registration to vote is continuous, being interrupted only on the 60th day before each election and until the election is held.
In the case of municipal elections held on 26 September 2021, registration to vote runs until 27 July 2021, including this day.
- European Union nationals, with legal residence in Portugal, and of the United Kingdom, with residence prior to Brexit, are identified with a valid title of identification and prove their legal residence in Portugal through any mean that proves their residence, namely, Registration Certificate or Residence Certificate for an EU Citizen (articles 9, no. 4, 27, no. 3 and 34, no. 2);
- Citizens of Brazil (without equality status) and Cape Verde, with legal residence in Portugal, are identified and make proof of residence with a valid residence title (articles 9 no. 4, 27, no. 3 and 34, no. 2);
- Other foreign nationals, with legal residence in Portugal, identify themselves and provide proof of residence with a valid residence permit: Authorization of Temporary Residence or Authorization of Permanent Residence, according to each case (articles 9, no. 4, 27, no. 3 e 34, no. 2).
Only the holder of an authorization of temporary residence can make proof of the residence length (article 12 no. 2 al. a) e 37 no. 2 al. a).
The registration of these voters is done via SIGREweb, according to the document of identification that allows to access to the data shown in that same system of identification (civil identification or SEF), with the data of the voters’ identification (name, parents, date of birth, natural of, nationality...).
This system also allows to complete the identification related to residence and contacts (since this information is obtained with the holder consent).
In the registration act, the CR prints, though SIGRE, the application form for the voter so that the voter can confirm the information and signs (article 38). This application form is then duplicated and one copy is filed, after being signed by the voter, as proof of registration but also proving the options and declaration herein.
Citizens of Brazilian nationality, residing and registered in the national territory, who have the status of equal political rights.
- Article 15 of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic.
- N.º 1 of Articles 2 and 5 of the Organic Law that regulates the election of members of the bodies of local authorities.
For more information, click here.
According to the local elections law, in addition to Portuguese and Brazilian citizens with equal status of political rights, may vote in local elections foreign nationals over 18 years old from:
- European Union Member States when Portuguese citizens have the same legal rights in their State of origin;
- Portuguese speaking countries when the same right is legally granted to Portuguese citizens in these states and legally residing in Portugal for more than two years;
- Countries that, under conditions of reciprocity, attribute active electoral capacity to Portuguese citizens residing there, and legally residing in Portugal for more than three years.