If you are an immigrant living legally in Portugal and wish to bring to the national territory one or more members of your family you may go to the Cabinet of Support to Family Reunification (GARF), working at the National Centre of Support to the Immigrant (CNAI). There all the necessary information will be given in order to star your process of Family Reunification.
Yes. The portuguese legislation recognises with a citizen a valid Residence Permit the right to family reunification with family member living outside Portugal since that they have lived with him in another country or depend upon them or even that they cohabit with him whether the ties are previous or subsequent to his entrance in Portugal.
The law only considers the following members of the resident:
• The partner;
• Under age children or incapable depending on the couple or one of them;
• Under age children adopted by the applicant or by the couple;
• Children full of age depending on the couple, that are single and currently studying in an education entity in Portugal;
• The ascendant in a straight line and of 1st degree (the parents) of the resident or his partner since that they are depending on him;
• The underage brothers since that they under the tutelage of the resident.
Yes, but pay attention, regarding the family reunification of the holder of a residence permit for study purposes, professional internship non-paid or volunteer only the following family members are considered:
- The partner;
- Under age children or incapable depending on the couple or one of them;
- Under age children adopted by the applicant or by the couple.
Yes. The family reunification may be authorised to the partner, at national territory or abroad, living in a consensual union with the foreigner citizen resident since that it is duly proved under the law.
Yes, it may also be authorized the family reunification, but the children that are single, under age or incapable, inclusively if adopted, have to be legally confined. ,
The Law allows the Family Reunification with children fully aged (with 18 years old or more) since that they meet the following conditions:
- They depend on the couple or one of the partners;
- They are single;
- They are studying in an education entity in Portugal.
The current law establishes no minimum period for the effect, it is only necessary to hold a valid residence permit to start the family reunification process.
If your residency permit is being renewed at the Foreigners and Border Services (SEF) you may request the family reunification with the renewal receipt. If it is a request of residence permit you must way until you have the residence permit to then make the request.
Yes, but in order to request it you must have the residence permit valid or your family member must have entered in Portugal legally, depend on you or cohabite with you.
Whenever the family members are outside the national territory it is up to the holder of the right to family reunification (holder of a residence permit valid in Portugal) to request to the SEF the family reunification the entrance and residence of his family members.
However, whenever the family members are at the national territory the family reunification may be requested by them or the holder of that right.